Wednesday, June 9, 2010

the trials of writing from a prompt book...

So, today's prompt is "rising early to begin a journey." Probably if I thought about it long enough, I could come up with a legitimate topic, but all I can think of at the moment is rising at 6:00 a.m. for the training, which seems like a topic that will quickly derail into a rant.

Yesterday's prompt is even worse: "This is the voice of my body". Um, really? You're asking me to write about this? We could start off with the fact that I really don't need a thirty-minute lecture to be convinced that my body "requires" far more sleep than is normal and that I should be worried about it. Or, how about my body's reaction to the accusation that by June I lost so much weight that you can tell from my senior picture which was taken in January? Yes, I told you I was sick. Or, what about the fact that a certain health care provider decided not to disclose lab results after four weeks but then had the audacity to send me a survey to assess my satisfaction with the quality of service rendered AND a bill for the service? All I got (so far) out of a phone call to aforementioned health care provider was that the person responsible for this information is not answering the phone; did I want to leave a phone number??? I'm thinking about canceling all future appointments with said provider... but this is turning into a real rant and since rants are censored...

... we move on to the next topic.




Topic for yesterday's yesterday, also known as the day before yesterday: "Write about something that came out of a box."



There's a fantastic picture hidden somewhere in my graduation scrapbook of my great joy when opening a gift from one of my friends. I make it a rule not to open presents in front of people unless they ask me to. I never know what my reaction will be, and it's fun to open them without people interrupting with their own commentary. Anyhow, someone gave me a gift and asked me to open it because she wanted to make sure I liked it. Of course, that's why I typically don't open gifts in front of people, but she asked so I cooperated.

My joy was priceless, and I'm glad it was in public so she knew right away and so someone could capture it on camera. The gift came in a slender rectangular box and contained the most beautiful bracelet ever. I had just started wearing some jewelry, and I loved it! It was perfect to go with the graduation dress my mom made me, so I got to wear it right away!

No comments: