Tuesday, June 1, 2010

write about something to hold on to...

I'm trying an experiment. I'm going to practice writing based on prompts. I need practice writing, and maybe you'll get to learn a little bit more about me and my personality.



Write about something to hold on to...

Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart." It's so true. In all my college years, I've met a lot of people in my classes and other activities. So many people are there in all different moments of my life. Yet, when I look back, some people seem to fill up all my memories. And there's others that I'm left wondering what their name was.

The people who are the most special to you are the people who, for whatever reason, decide to take the time to become an integral part of your life. Sometimes, this means that you color coloring pages together or go on adventures together around the city. Other times, it simply means that they are willing to take time to sit down with you over homework or encourage you when you get frustrated for the nth time!

For me, the persons who mean the most to me are those who take the time to stop and listen to what I have to say. I know that we all go through sufferings and trials. For me, I need someone to talk to, someone who cares enough about what's going on in my life to hear me out.

In a recent publication, I wrote a brief acknowledgements page. In that page, I included a sentence that read something like this, "More than they realize, Ben and Samantha helped me through my most difficult year of college, the year in which this project happened to begin." Thinking back to the logic and feeling behind this sentence, I realized that what Ben and Samantha did the most was care about me by listening to me and sympathizing no matter how pathetic I was. Even more, they knew when to listen, when to encourage me to take a break and accept the situation for what it was, and when to push me to take the next step especially when I didn't want to.

It's this kind of friendship that I want to hold on to no matter which way the wind blows. While the outward situation may change, our companionships can keep us sane and happy.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

This is a good and passionate piece on a topic that is clearly close to your heart. Keep writing on topics like this one :).

Eleanor Roosevelt has some great quotes. How about writing using another quote of hers as a prompt: "Do one thing everyday that scares you."